College can be one of the best times of your life, especially if you have a vehicle. When your friends want to hit up a party or when you want to take an excursion away from campus for some weekend adventures, having your car will be easier than relying on a rideshare service or renting a vehicle.
But should you bring your car with you when moving to college? If so, should you ship it or drive it to your college campus yourself? Let’s explore five reasons why it might be wiser to ship your car than drive it across several states.
Five Reasons You Should Ship Your Car to College
- It’s Faster than Driving
- It’s Better For Your Car
First and foremost, shipping your car to college means you don’t have to drive to your new college campus. For example, if you plan to attend college in a state other than your home, you probably have a long drive ahead.
But if you ship your car to college, you can skip the drive entirely and fly to your new campus abode. Once you’re there, you can just wait for your wheels to arrive and take possession of your car when it’s there.
Long drives can be dangerous, especially for inexperienced drivers or college students who don’t know how to manage their energy when driving for hours on the freeway. In contrast, a vehicle shipping service relies on experienced drivers who know exactly how to get a valuable car from place to place without risking an accident.
College students already have other things to think about. Using a vehicle shipping service to move their car to their campus is a better idea in many cases due to the safety benefits alone.
Next, parents might consider shipping their teen’s car to college using a vehicle transportation service since it’s more cost-effective.
Driving to college with a regular car or truck often means making multiple trips back and forth to bring the student’s stuff. If you ship a vehicle to a college campus, the student and their family can instead rent a moving car or truck and bring everything in one trip.
Plus, many vehicle transportation services are more affordable and cost-effective than you think. Carvaygo’s Open Car-Hauling service is well known and appreciated for its affordability and reliability in equal measure. This is the most convenient method of shipping vehicles overall. When you use a service like Carvaygo, you can get a quote immediately without the obligation to purchase.
If college students don’t have a lot of personal things to bring with them, they can still fly to their new school and save on gas money, money spent eating fast food, and motel nights. Bottom line: relying on a vehicle transportation service is often more cost-effective than driving a vehicle to college in person.
It’s Faster than Driving
College students can get to their new schools more quickly using a vehicle transportation service.
With a vehicle transportation service like Carvaygo, parents can rest assured that their child’s car will be at its destination in a few days. That’s partial because Carvaygo relies on experienced transportation services like RPM, which employs highly skilled, trained professionals who know how to make the best time on America’s freeways.
College students can quickly hop on a flight or take another transportation solution to their university of choice. They can get settled into their dorm and wait for their vehicle to arrive over the next few days.
It’s much faster than driving oneself across the country, especially when you factor in the fatigue associated with that journey. Most parents want their college students to be refreshed and ready to go on the first day of school; the best way to ensure that is to take the burden of driving the vehicle across the nation off their shoulders.
That touches on perhaps the most crucial overall benefit of shipping a car to college instead of driving it: convenience.
Simply put, relying on a vehicle transportation service is very convenient from start to finish. As parents of college students or as a car owner, all you have to do is:
- Contact a vehicle transportation service like Carvaygo
- Get a free quote to determine the rate that works best for you
- Choose your vehicle transportation solution (i.e., open car-hauling or closed car-hauling)
- Wait for the transporter to show up and pick up your car
- Head to your destination
- Receive your vehicle when it has arrived
You don’t have to worry about gas, maintaining the car, making sure you don’t get into an accident, or anything else. If you’re a college student, you probably already have many other things to worry about, including starting classes on time, getting your dorm situation squared away, and more.
Don’t worry about your car. Leave it in the hands of experts instead and focus on getting to school safely and settling in before the semester starts.
It’s Better For Your Car
But that’s not all shipping your car brings to the table. When you rely on qualified transportation services, you also lower the burden on the vehicle itself.
If you drive your car, for example, from California to Texas, you add several thousand miles to that vehicle. The more miles you add to your car, the more wear and tear it sustains, and the sooner you’ll have to take it into maintenance.
If you use a vehicle transportation service instead, your car won’t have any new miles under its belt. Rather, it’ll sit safe and secure inside a vehicle while it makes the cross-country journey. As a result, your vehicle will last longer and be in better shape when it arrives at your chosen university.
This can be even more advantageous if you have a budget car with many miles already clocked under the odometer. If you want that car to last you through college, you should avoid straining it as much as possible.
A cross-country move also introduces the possibility of maintenance issues on the way. The last thing you want is to be stranded on the side of the road on your way to college because your budget car suddenly blew a tire or suffered some other mechanical issue.
Again, when a vehicle shipping service takes charge of your vehicle, you don’t have to worry about this. Instead, you can just get to college, wait for your car to arrive, and receive it in the same condition you saw it last. Then it’ll be ready to take you anywhere you need to go for the next four years or longer.
Should You Bring Your Car to College?
The advantages of shipping your car instead of driving it to college are numerous. But students and parents alike might wonder whether they should have a car in college in the first place. In truth, there are both positives and downsides to bringing a car to college.
Pros of Having a Car in College
There are lots of benefits to having your car in college, including but not limited to:
- Firstly, you have ultimate transportation flexibility if you have your own car at college. You don’t have to rely on a stranger you just met or friends to get from place to place. For example, if you attend a local party but want to leave before everyone else, you can jump in your car and head home to study before a big test without worry.
- Next, if you have your car, you don't have to spend tons of money on rideshare companies like Uber. These fees can quickly eat into your limited college budget – in some cases, they amount to more than the cost of monthly car insurance and gas.
- On top of that, having a car in college means you can apply for jobs that are a fair distance away from your college campus. Depending on your career field, this can bolster your professional prospects.
- Having your car makes it much easier to travel home on school breaks, like Christmas or spring break. Or you can use your vehicle to travel to seminars, work-placement opportunities, and more.
Cons of Having a Car in College
While all the above benefits are accurate, there are also certain downsides to consider when deciding whether to bring a car to college or figure out your transportation situation when you arrive.
- For example, having your car in college adds to your expenses. You already have to pay for books, food, and activities. If you have your vehicle, you must pay for gas plus auto insurance (and any maintenance costs arising over the years).
- Additionally, many college campuses charge fees for parking permits. So if you want to keep your car on campus, you’ll need to pay several hundred or several thousand dollars per year, depending on your university’s policy.
- Lastly, having your car at college is another responsibility when you already have other concerns. If, for example, your car breaks down in the middle of the school week, you’ll have to figure out transportation solutions until the weekend, plus be in charge of taking your vehicle to a mechanic to get repaired. You may just not want to deal with this added stress.
What To Do Next
Shipping your car to college could be one of the best decisions, especially if you want to get to school with minimal hassle. But deciding to bring your car when moving to college is just the start – now you have to figure out how to do it.
Carvaygo can ship your car to the college town of your choice. We offer affordable rates, multiple shipping solutions and services, and experienced drivers who can minimize the risk of damage to your vehicle.
Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we work with RPM, a leading vehicle transportation provider.
How Long Would It Take To Drive Across the Country? | Forbes
The Mileage on Your Car Matters, But Not Always the Way You Think | Bloomberg
Pros and Cons of Having a Car on Campus During Your Freshman Year | Credit.com